Uprooted

on Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A recurring feeling I get, triggered by philosophy, is that of uprooting. My ideals changes, my beliefs in how the world works, the existence of God, myself and progress to name a few.
This comes from questioning and I question because I'm faced with 'truths' that deviate from my own.
I can not put the blame entirely on philosophy though, just changing the setting from a close-knit, Christian, open minded family on the countryside to MUWCI with Fridays in Paud has it's own share of uprooting my ideals.
So, anyway, what I've pondering is if this change is good thing. Which I think it is, and Mill seems to back me up on that. But I sometimes feel like it's too much, like I will crumble under all the things have to do, learn, understand and get used to. I long home, to live a simpleton life.
I have friend at home who kind of represents this life. She has no ambitions of good grades, as long as they are decent enough to get her in somewhere. Her biggest interest in rabbit breeding and exhibitions.
She gossips, she lives where she's been all her life, she has a boyfriend and they broke up. It's still a simple life. It's not easy (or, I really can't know, can I?), but simple.
I wish for my life to be like that sometimes. But then, when I get this feeling of 'Aha!', when I have a revelation that keys out many things that used to confuse I feel like that is the whole point of my life and it always makes my day a good one. I'm wondering, if there weren't any expectation on me to progress and develop, if I was expected to follow in my dads footsteps for example, would I still be interested in developing?
If no one pressured me into progress, would I want to? And having asked that question: If the answer is no, why am I doing someones others will by progressing, towards a goal that isn't mine?

But no. I do believe in progress, even if I just want to quit and go home sometimes when it gets too much. I want to progress, I want to develop. What is the point of a stagnant life?


(The fancy template is gone. It was not because this looks more sophisticated, even though it does, but because the other one's coding messed up. Sorry 'bout that.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment