Stuck with Mill

on Monday, December 7, 2009

What I've realised more and more as we go along in philosophy classes is that I will need to read another text very soon. Mill is crawling into my head and I've never read another philosophical text before, certainly none that is that well-argued. The only points in his arguments that I can oppose is the ones that I've been raised to believe in. All other things are the first time I am presented with them, and until I can compare to some else's point of view on the subjects I will naturally take Mill's side and arguments as true. I am the opposite to Mill's open man, only having heard one side of every argument.
I wonder what I will believe in a year or two from now, how much I will have changed, it seems quite exiting to me. Will I still believe in God or actually have found a way in which I think I I can reason myself beyond belief? Will I have become a cynical being, having no faith in humanity? Will I feel like I've tasted a truth that makes me unable to connect to other humans? As you probably understand, I am talking about things that I fear. Will I believe in love? In living?
I can sometimes feel seeds of these thoughts and it scares me.
And at the same time, I feel that is there is a God, he would never want for me to live in ignorance, to shut out anything that I found frightening. And I don't personally believe in becoming stagnant either.
God, how is it that I always end up asking the way too big questions? And only asking them, seldom answering them. The more I think, the more I feel like there are no answers.
Oh, I just realized there still believe to be true: Everything is complex.
If there is something I have slowly started to really spite, it is over-simplification. Saying that I can live a happy life if I accept three simple truths, that there is one joy to a good life, that there are two sides to a coin (there are many, many more if you think about it).
I can see how humans must simplify to make sense of the world around them.
That is exactly what I want to do sometimes when my brain goes into overload. I want to go home, bury my mind under a stone somewhere and live mindlessly. But I know that is completely impossible. I've tasted progress and I can't ever stop questioning now. I am a lost case, my thoughts floating in my head very similar to how I am floating on Earth in universe (is it never-ending? Expanding? Limited?).

0 comments:

Post a Comment