on Saturday, January 23, 2010

I'd say it's only natural that my blogs this term will miroor what we do in class. While liberty was interesting I couldn't connect it to my life as intimately as I obviously can do with issues on personal identity. Still, I found Locke incredibly uninteresting.
What thoughts it did raise though was if I really did find the philosophical search for identity interesting? Right now I feel quite safe with myself, I've settled into some kind of pattern, even though I don't feel like I've taken on any particular role, which I'm really happy for. I would like to stay on that topic.
There is the clown, the committed, the studious, the bad, the drunk, the sad, the detached, the shy... there are so many roles played out in any enviroment of youngsters collected, usually school. What it is like in the world of the mysterious grown-ups I don't know. Still, I feel like the roles here at MUWCI are more fleeting, more complex than the ones I'm used to. Is it the reflective environment (Pfft) or that we are growing up? There is no longer the studious vs. the drunken clown, but they can actually be seen together. You can play a part role, but very few seem to beliving a character entirly.
Let me explain. I used to be the studious. I wasn't expected to go for parties, to drink, to be independent. So naturally I fell into that pattern. You are what others and you expect (I have to write more on that sometime). When you move to a new place everything is up in the air, you could become anyone. People usually don't choose something very different from what they used to do, but they still change.
I changed and was thinking that I would fall into one of these roles that you eventually become chained to. But here it was harder. To use a literary expression: the characters were more round. They had more sides than one I kept getting surprised in many cases. Another interesting thing about the environment here is that we all disappear, dispers at the breaks and you have the chance to make yourself a different place when you come back.
Everyone is also expected to change in one or more ways being here at MUWCI. It is part of our process. And there are only to years here, making the place prone to changes. Traditions can change much faster here than at a collage that has three grades (and has some old impressive history) where first year is surviving and second being taught how it works arounf there and third is ruling the place. My prejudices.
So do I beilive that this kind of changes are for the good? Absolutly! If I just may connect back to Mill and the dead dogma... no change would mean a less dynamic, experimenting, progressive culture than that we form here at MUWCI. Or do we?

0 comments:

Post a Comment