Altruism

on Monday, March 1, 2010

I went for the Faculty lecture held by Michael, the 3rd year. He was talking about volunteering after MUWCI or in general after UWC. How he did it and how there is a pressure on the students that you ought to do it. If you take a gap year, you ought to do it for someone other than yourself.
It's wasn't that he didn't want to go, he was really excited, but it didn't give him that satisfaction he wanted. So argument basically was: do what you are passionate about! Coming to MUWCI I didn't think I was going to change the world, but I thought I could be a good-hearted, self-less volunteer who helped others. Truly altruistic, just for the sake of it, but I've realised that doesn't work.
Why? I was really disappointed with myself at first, but now I try not to blame myself for being... human (if you want to call it that). Now my goal is, instead of being good, to find out what I like to do and do it. If I do, I believe I will get energy to share, to help and be an agent of change where I do it best, instead of helping street children, beacuse they sufferm because they are so many, because I OUGHT to.
It actually goes along with what I've also always believed if I think about it in a religious way. I believe God created me with something I do well and something and enjoy, because it needs to be done. It would be just stupid to do something you don't want to then, wouldn't it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment